"Inappropriate Comparisons Trivialize the Holocaust" - Abraham Foxman, ADL Director
While the ADL moved quickly to denounce Dr. Spencer, it appears unwilling to defend him and other climate skeptics from reprehensible analogies to "Holocaust deniers".
"Let's just say that global warming deniers are now on a par with Holocaust deniers."
- Ellen Goodman, Boston Globe (2007)
"Clouds of a different sort signal an environmental holocaust without precedent. Once again, world leaders waffle, hoping the danger will dissipate. Yet today the evidence is as clear as the sounds of glass shattering in Berlin."
- Al Gore (1989)
"I wonder whether such a show, if concerned with denial of the holocaust of world war II, would have been conceived?"
- Andrew Glikson, Australian National University (2012)
"It reminds me in some ways of the debate taking place in this country and around the world in the late 1930s - there were people - who said 'don't worry! Hitler's not real! It'll disappear!"
- Bernie Sanders, U.S. Senator from Vermont (2010)
"We have Holocaust deniers; we have climate change deniers. And to be honest, I don’t think there’s a great deal of difference."
- Bill McGuire, University College London (2006)
"Would the media insist on having a Holocaust-denier to balance any report about the Second Word War?"
- Caroline Lucas, U.K. Green Party MP (2007)
"...the others working to derail this critical piece of legislation will be seen as the Adolph Hitlers of our day, contributing to a holocaust vastly eclipsing the horrors of World War II."
- Chad Kister, Environmental Activist (2008)
"The deniers of climate change are cut from the same cloth as Holocaust deniers. They’ve never been to the death camps, Auschwitz and Birkenau, so what they haven’t seen does not exist."
- Charles Larson, American University (2013)
"The obvious reductio ad absurdum is Holocaust deniers: Should their perspective be provided, for "balance," any time someone writes about the Holocaust?"
- Chris Mooney, The Intersection (2006)
"Climate deniers are less immoral than Holocaust deniers, although they are undoubtedly more dangerous."
- Clive Hamilton, Charles Sturt University (2009)
"Fox [News] is far and away the extreme example. They’ll have a known holocaust denier debating a holocaust survivor."
- Craig Rosebraugh, Environmental Activist (2013)
"Giving in to the forces of low ambition would be an act of climate appeasement. This is our Munich moment."
- Chris Huhne, U.K. Energy and Climate Change Minister (2011)
"At its core, global warming denial is like Holocaust denial, an assault on common decency."
- David Fiderer, The Huffington Post (2009)
"It's about the climate-change "denial industry", ...we should have war crimes trials for these bastards - some sort of climate Nuremberg."
- David Roberts, Grist Magazine (2006)
"There are many more traits that the climate deniers share with the creationists and Holocaust deniers and others who distort the truth."
- Donald Prothero, Occidental College (2012)
"Almost everywhere, climate change denial now looks as stupid and as unacceptable as Holocaust denial."
- George Monbiot, The Guardian (2006)
"When the press does a story on the Holocaust, do they give equal time to the revisionists?"
- Greg Craven, Central High School, Independence, Oregon (2010)
"I think these people are anti-science flat-earthers. ...They are every bit as dangerous as Holocaust deniers."
- Guy Keleny, The Independent (2013)
"I asked Lucht if he would give similar treatment to anti-vaccine activists or Holocaust deniers."
- James Hrynyshyn, The Island of Doubt (2009)
"Those who abjure global warming are not skeptics; they are deniers. To call them skeptics is to debase language as much as to call the Ku Klux Klan "prejudiced," Holocaust deniers "biased," or Flat-Earthers "mistaken."
- James Powell, National Physical Science Consortium (2012)
"These are not debunkers, testing outrageous claims with scientific rigor. They are deniers - like Holocaust deniers."
- Jim Hoggan, DeSmogBlog (2005)
"Would PBS go so far as to give air time to an even more extreme kind of disinformer, a Holocaust denier?"
- Joe Romm, Climate Progress (2012)
"Bluntly put, climate change deniers pose a greater danger than the lingering industry that denies the Holocaust."
- Joel Connelly, Seattle Post-Intelligencer (2007)
"The climate-change deniers are rapidly ending up with as much intellectual credibility as creationists and Flat Earthers. ...they are nudging close to having the moral credibility of Holocaust deniers."
- Johann Hari, The Independent (2005)
"An Inconvenient Truth is so convincing that it makes opposers of the argument as credible as Holocaust deniers."
- Jon Niccum, Lawrence Journal-World (2006)
"David Irving is under arrest in Austria for Holocaust denial. Perhaps there is a case for making climate change denial an offence - it is a crime against humanity after all."
- Margo Kingston, Webdiary (2006)
"I wonder what sentences judges might hand down at future international criminal tribunals on those who will be partially but directly responsible for millions of deaths from starvation, famine and disease in decades ahead. I put this in a similar moral category to Holocaust denial."
- Mark Lynas, Environmental Activist (2006)
"The threat of climate change is catastrophic. In fact, the current wave of climate change scepticism smacks of 1930s-style appeasement."
- Nathan Rees, Australian Politician (2009)
"Some people don't believe in climate warning - like those who don't believe there was a Holocaust."
- Paul McCartney, Musician (2010)
"There are bound to be deniers. Whenever you set up a thesis there's bound to be somebody who comes the opposite way …like Holocaust deniers."
- Pete Postlethwaite, Actor (2009)
"Even so - and because of its resonance with Holocaust denial - the term "denier" can be used to describe those who trivially reject the existence and threat of global warming."
- Peter Christoff, The Age (2007)
"This article begins by first naming this counter-movement "climate denial" and working through the various apparent options by specifically looking at the scholarship on Holocaust denial for insight."
- Peter Jacques, University of Central Florida (2012)
"A lot of them complain because they say the word denial puts them in the same bin as holocaust deniers. That's too bad. But the thing is, they do have something in common: a denial of evidence and of scientific consensus."
- Phil Plait, Discover Magazine (2009)
"What is the difference between Lomborg’s view of humanity and Hitler's? ...If you were to accept Lomborg’s way of thinking, then maybe what Hitler did was the right thing."
- Rajendra Pachauri, U.N. IPCC (2004)
"Surely it's time for climate-change deniers to have their opinions forcibly tattooed on their bodies."
- Richard Glover, The Sydney Morning Herald (2011)
"Does the Media Research Center think equal air time should be given to Holocaust deniers and flat-earthers as well?"
- Richard Kyte, Viterbo University (2013)
"We don't give Holocaust deniers equal time to vent their noxious views, so why offer it to the climate change deniers?"
- Richard Schiffman, The Huffington Post (2012)
"Denialism, a concept that was first widely used, as far as I know, for those who claimed that the Holocaust was a fraud, is the concept I believe we should use."
- Robert Manne, La Trobe University (2009)
"If I do an interview with Elie Wiesel, am I required as a journalist to find a Holocaust denier?"
- Scott Pelley, CBS (2006)
"I now have a new level of disdain for global warming deniers. I just lump them in with Holocaust deniers and act accordingly."
- Stephen Elliott-Buckley, Politics, Re-Spun (2007)
"The text [The Skeptical Environmentalist] employs the strategy of those who, for example, argue ...that Jews weren't singled out by the Nazis for extermination."
- Stuart Pimm, Columbia University (2001)
"I do think it's often a mistake to call them climate skeptics. I think they're deniers, just as I think president Ahmadinejad of iran who claims not to believe that the Holocaust occurred."
- Thomas Schelling, University of Maryland (2013)
Climate Change Denial and the Holocaust allusion (JoNova, March 3, 2014)
The silence of the Anti Defamation League suggests they endorse defamation of climate skeptics (WUWT, March 3, 2014)